Thursday, May 25, 2023

Day 25: Rolling on the River

 The first time I remember seeing Tina Turner sing was on a variety show (can’t remember which one). It was about 1971 and I was 16. Instead of starting to sing, however, Tina Turner came up to the mike and began to speak. At the same time, Ike Turner began strumming chords on his guitar. I recognized it right away and was dismayed. My favorite band at the time was Creedence Clearwater Revival, and this was their song.

But Tina’s voice compelled my attention. Sometimes, she said, she liked to sing a song nice and easy. Sometimes she liked to sing it rough. She stated she was going to sing the first part nice and easy, but then she was going to sing it nice and rough. She began to sing “Proud Mary.”

I liked her voice. She had feelings even though it was “nice and easy.” Yeah, I thought, but she’s not the Fogartys. Nice cover, I thought, but …

And then the music picked up and so did she. I could feel myself moving with this new, rocking beat. She was dancing too, and she was magnificent.

When the song was over, I thought it is her song now.

She had a secret similar to the secret I carried, yet it was different. I lived in a house with domestic violence but hadn’t been a victim of it in years. It left its scars though. She was a direct victim of DV. It was a shock. I never would have suspected it. But that’s a skill we learn early: how to hide that it’s happening. I am sure it left scars on her too.

She came back, though, and in such a strong way that she’s called the Queen of Rock and Roll. She is a strong role model for all females from 5 to 105.  She had so many hit songs over the next years, and each one seemed better than the other. And oh my, her energy! I saw film clips of her in concert in her later years. She was in heels, not losing her balance and tripping, and dancing as well and as energetically as the kids around her. I watched her onstage doing an across-the-stage line dance with these young women and I couldn’t tell one from the other.

Dan Rather wrote a very nice piece about Tina Turner and, in it, he shared three of her clips. Visit and watch those videos. They’ll get you up and moving.

I love all of Tina Turner’s songs. This one is a favorite that Mr. Rather didn’t include. She was in a movie with Mel Gibson way back when called Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome. I am so moved by her rendition of “We Don’t Need Another Hero.” 

Another favorite is “What’s Love Got To Do With It?” 

And because 3 is my lucky number, I’m sharing a new favorite video. It’s beautiful.   I can almost hear them doing this duet together in Rock and Roll Heaven. God bless, Tina Turner. I’ll miss you, but I’ll always have your music to listen to.

I am participating in the American Cancer Society’s challenge to write for thirty minutes each day in May. I do a lot of writing and I can meet this challenge. I plan to make a blog entry each day with what I’ve written.

I wanted to participate in memory of loved ones who fought cancer bravely but succumbed:

My brother-in-law Jeff

My sister-in-law Ann

My dear friend Kay

My Uncle Bob

My Uncle John

 

I also wanted to help raise money to support research and a cure for those currently fighting this vicious disease.

My Facebook to the fundraiser is here

Thank you to all who wish to support the American Cancer Society this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My New Blogs

The Old Gray Mare Speaks Irishcoda54