Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Homer's Odyssey


 

A dear friend who is also a cat lover recommended Homer’s Odyssey by Gwen Cooper some time back, and I finally got around to it. It’s been on my to-be-read list for a long time. I kept picking up random books whenever I went into the library to pick up one of my books.

My friend and others who’ve read about Homer said it was inspiring. It was that and much more.  Homer’s story is nothing short of miraculous as well as inspiring. Abandoned as a tiny kitten, a caring veterinarian decided to save his life in spite of the fact that he would be blind.

Gwen Cooper was a single working professional with two cats. Both of her cats had been rescued as abandoned kittens. The veterinarian who’d saved Homer was desperately trying to find him a home. It seemed no one wanted a kitten with a disability. But Gwen decided to come to the vet’s office and meet Homer.

Homer, throughout the story, was amazing. He was able to carry out feats the other two cats wouldn’t have dreamed of trying. With a never-ending curiosity and bravado, Homer easily adapted and navigated through a sightless world. Gwen, ever protective, made accommodations to keep him safe.

Originally, I thought this would be an inspiring feel-good story, but I was mistaken. There were situations that put me on the edge of my seat, turning the pages and unable to stop until I found out what happened.  Homer’s story is more than just a light-hearted read, although there were times I found myself laughing harder than I have at comedies. It’s a story of courage, love, and the ability to overcome a seemingly insurmountable obstacle.

You don’t have to be a cat lover or animal lover to enjoy Homer’s story on so many levels.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My New Blogs

The Old Gray Mare Speaks Irishcoda54