Tuesday, December 27, 2022

Still Celebrating

 The pre-Christmas Day season was weird. Christmas Eve night, even though we had our heat up to 70F, it felt as if it was 30 degrees colder in the house. That's because we need to have our drafty windows replaced and because of the wicked winds that came with the horrendous storm that hammered the country.  On Christmas Eve night, my hubby TB and I were bundled up like a couple of Eskimos.

I wanted to post this awesome story about a signing Santa Claus. This article really made me choke up, thinking back to stories my parents told me about their growing up years and how they'd spend Christmases. As I've written before, my parents were both Deaf and grew up during the Depression/World War II years. In those days and even up to today, Deaf children are often excluded from family holiday activities because of a lack of adequate communication. In the last 20 years or so, inclusion has been ever so much better. I am so happy to see that this Deaf Santa brings such joy to the children who visit him.

That article appeared on Friday, and my attention was diverted by what the storm did to a tree in our back yard.

I was wrapping Christmas presents for TB when I heard a ripping sound above me. I thought for sure the fierce winds were pulling shingles or even part of our roof off the house. In actuality, the ferocious winds tore our tree right out of the ground. Half of it is on our side of the fence and the other half is in our neighbor's yard. Gulp.

Luckily, it didn't damage the house but it did mess with the pool. TB and our grandson are going next door tomorrow to start cutting the tree up. We thought our insurance would cover the damage to our neighbor's pool...but NO. They don't. Our neighbor is very laid back about the whole thing. We've been neighbors for over 20 years and he knows we'll make it right. TB is very skilled with sheet metal and other crafts and plans to fix the pool too. This way, our neighbor won't have to pay a deductible to his insurance companies. Third party carriers are vultures.

Now it's Christmas Day and we had a surprise visit from our 18 year old grandson, the same little boy we went hiking with for years. He's all grown up, got himself a full-time job and a big old truck to drive around. We are so proud of him. I'd share a picture but was so surprised at the visit I forgot where I put my phone.

Other happy moments from Christmas Day:







It took all of Monday to recover from all the fun, and even now I'm not quite ready to get back into the busy swing of things.  All our Christmas decorations and ugly sweaters will stay up and be worn until TB's birthday, January 6th a.k.a. All Kings' Day




No comments:

Post a Comment

My New Blogs

The Old Gray Mare Speaks Irishcoda54