Friday, November 25, 2022

A Way Out Of No Way

 

I saw A Way Out Of No Way when I was making a pickup at the library recently, and I really wanted to know more about Senator Warnock. I’ve been phone banking to support him and knew his positions on issues but here was a book written by himself and I wanted to gain more insight into the man. I was impressed. I loved his use of a quote by the late Rep. John Lewis which explains the title of his book:

“Do not get lost in a sea of despair. Do not become bitter or hostile. Be hopeful. Be optimistic. Never, ever be afraid to make some noise and get in good trouble, necessary trouble. We will find a way to make a way out of no way.”

After reading the book, my mind is blown even further by the fact that we’re even engaged in a run-off election between a highly educated, inspirational man who cares and works hard to Georgians and a brain damaged man who makes idiotic statements and whose only claim to fame is that he was once a football star. His supporters are mostly white people, which shows to go ya that Racism is alive and well in Georgia. These white voters are willing to vote for a black man because they know Walker is in lock step with their orange god, TFG.

Enough of that. Back to the book. Here are some of the things I learned about Rev. Warnock: his parents were hard working people that were underpaid to the point that they needed to rely on government assistance. The family lived in a housing project. Still, faith was strong in that family and Warnock began preaching at a very young age.

As a teenager, he became enamored of Rev. Martin Luther King. He realized that King’s mission was not only to spread God’s word but to act on it by bringing about social justice in a peaceful manner.  Warnock listened to Rev. King’s recorded messages and began teaching himself to sound and preach more like King.

Warnock was able to get enough financial aid and scholarships to be able to attend first Morehouse College, which is where King and so many other activists began their education post high school. He went on to earn his Masters and Doctorate. He’s been the preacher at several churches involved in social activism and, lately, at Ebeneezer Baptist Church. That’s where Martin Luther King Jr. and his father were ministers.

What a prestigious pedicree and what awesome work he’s already completed both at the churches and as a Senator from Georgia. He won that seat in 2020 and that was a run-off election too. After two years of his hard, steady work I guess some Georgians were afraid of where he was heading and decided to support the decidedly weaker candidate.

I have to admit there were places that the book dragged. There was a lot of name dropping and a lot of pats on the back. Those pats were well deserved and I just skipped over the parts with names I totally didn’t recognize.

I am glad I read the book and even gladder that I will be volunteering time to help Rev. Warnock get re-elected to the Senate.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My New Blogs

The Old Gray Mare Speaks Irishcoda54