Monday, September 5, 2022

Looking For Work On Labor Day

Only someone who’s already retired would be trying this, right?  This is a search of necessity: living on a fixed income is very difficult these days, with rising prices everywhere.  We need to put aside money for emergency repairs and to save in case we decide to move next year.  There’s a lot of expense involved to fixing up a 50-year-old house.

What can I do?  I’m 67 and partially disabled in that I have physical limitations and am immunosuppressed.  I’m looking for remote work only.

It’s not easy trying to find legitimate remote work.  Many of the companies lure you in with all these opportunities and you learn fast it’s all click-bait.  There are a handful of places that have legitimate offerings, like Indeed and Linked In.  I have tried almost all the others and they are basically a waste of time.

I haven’t had much luck although I’d hoped my typing skills would help me.  What’s working against me: my age (who says ageism doesn’t exist?) and the fact that although my typing skills are awesome, I’m sorely outdated with my other Office skills, like Excel and Access.

I worked as a market research interviewer/supervisor for several years.  There are lots of market research companies out there that want interviewers but you have to qualify for a survey and hope that the pay is adequate.  My age and race usually screens me out of almost all surveys.  Besides, earning less than $1 for 20 minutes work is very unappealing.

What else is there?  I was an interpreter for the Deaf for most of my working career.  When I worked for school districts, I was more than an interpreter for Deaf students.  I was also a tutor.  Hey, that’s an idea!  Maybe I could be a tutor! I don’t have a teaching degree but applied to a couple of places anyway.  I have my fingers crossed for Book Nook.  I completed half of a videoed interview; I need to video myself in two teaching scenarios.  First, though, I want to practice the lessons.

So, Happy Labor Day, everyone who is already working and enjoying a day off.  I’m off to filling out more applications, wishing and hoping.

My favorite columnists each wrote something about Labor Day today and they’re well worth a read:

Heather Cox Richardson

Robert Reich

Dan Rather

No comments:

Post a Comment

My New Blogs

The Old Gray Mare Speaks Irishcoda54