Wednesday, April 13, 2022

The Book of Hope: A Survival Guide For Trying Times

I am so glad that I signed up for ebook offer mailing lists.  I’ve found so many good books that I so enjoyed reading, especially when I can get them free from the library! 😉 The wonderful book I just finished this time was The Book of Hope: A Survival Guide For Trying Times by Jane Goodall and Douglas Abrams and with Gail Hudson.  I saw that title and I know Jane Goodall most of all from the wonderful conservation efforts she’s made and research with chimpanzees.  I thought, you know, I’ll be she’s got some great advice for the trying times we’re living in!

Douglas Abrams interviewed Jane Goodall before and after the pandemic.  She wrote in her forward: “Probably the question I am asked more often than any other is: Do you honestly believe there is hope for our world?  For the future of our children and grandchildren?  And I am able to answer truthfully, yes.”

I have to admit to feeling periods of despair over the last couple of years.  This year has been particularly trying: my mother-in-law was hospitalized and almost died from a covid-19 infection; subsequently, her gall bladder became dangerously infected and she’s just finally had it removed after weeks of persistent bacteria; devastating and horrific hostilities by the Russians on Ukrainian civilians; a dear friend is in the final throes of transitioning from life after suffering with destructive cancer; wild weather due to climate change; my husband was scammed out of $2000 from our checking account; covid is not done with us; and last, but not least, the dysfunction in Washington (without getting into it).  Yes, I have wondered if there was any hope left for the world and have grieved what was stolen from my children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

Jane Goodall’s research first involved the study of chimpanzees.  She learned and reported that they have feelings and can probably think and wonder.  They just aren’t able to talk.  Scientists scoffed at first but later began to give her credence.  While studying the chimps, she realized that part of the danger to them was the overwhelming poverty of the people living around them.  Her interests expanded to improving the environment.  Help the people, help the animals.  She became very concerned what was happening to the world’s environment and has established programs around the world to try to address the issues.

The interviews are so inspiring and informative.  The book is divided into sections.  First, “What Is Hope?”  After that comes the four reasons we can continue to hope: “The amazing intellect; the resilience of nature; the power of young people; and the indomitable human spirit.”  There was conversation between the two of them about spirituality.  She doesn’t try to foist her beliefs on anyone but she did have Abrams look up a quote by Albert Einstein: “The harmony of natural law … reveals an intelligence of such superiority that, compared with it, all the systematic thinking and acting of human beings is an utterly insignificant reflection.” Take from that what you will.  I have my own definite beliefs.

Finally, if we want to be messengers of hope too, what can we do?

This is the second book I would recommend to everyone.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

My New Blogs

The Old Gray Mare Speaks Irishcoda54